According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), these are the top roofing scams to watch out for:
- Door-to-door crews who have left-over materials from other jobs.
- Drive-by roof inspectors who may create damage to an otherwise sound roof.
- Special offer for limited time.
- Storm chaser roof repair crews, especially if they are not local and have no brick and mortar office.
- Unsound, unclear contracts that contain phrases and clauses such as: “see insurance estimate” or “cost after rebate”, etc.
BBB tips to avoid roofing scams:
- Avoid a high-pressure sales pitch.
- Don’t sign over your insurance check.
- Pay through installments as project progresses.
- Research reviews and references of contractors thoroughly.
- Insist on having a written and signed contract that specifies: work to be performed, materials used, breakdown of labor and material cost, project start/end date, and payment schedule.
Many roofing con artists are opportunists, chasing storms and exploiting any condition that creates a large pool of potential victims. The BBB has another tool for consumers to use for protection against unscrupulous contractors, the BBB Scam Tracker. Log on and view an interactive map. Find out what kind of scams have been reported in your own Minnesota hometown. If you are unfortunate enough to have been a victim of a scam, report it. Hundreds of scams from all over the world are reported here monthly. Users of the Scam Tracker can search by type of scam, date or postal code. You can view reported scams and discover how much money a consumer might have lost. Don’t get ripped off. Find out what is happening in your own community.
Trust Proven Professionals:
The best protection against a roofing scam is to trust your home’s repair to a team of proven professionals. Need a free estimate for a new roof or repairs to an existing roof that has sustained damage? Please contact us. First Impressions Exteriors is Minnesota’s top rated general contractor and BBB verified business. Our expertise covers all areas of a home’s exteriors: roof, siding, windows, gutters, etc. We have experience with the effects on a home due to Minnesota’s harsh winter weather conditions. BBB accredited and preferred by insurance companies, our customers enjoy professionalism and quality customer service. Don’t get scammed. Call us.