Your our roof is older, missing shingles, damaged by a tree or debris or water damage is evident. Roofing contractors are plentiful but how do you choose the right one? The roof of your house is an important and major project which requires careful consideration when choosing a roofing contractor. We have the answer to help you choose. Follow these 10 Tips to Help Homeowners Choose the Right Roofing Contractor to get peace of mind when addressing your roofing repair or replacement.
- Local Contractors are known by people in the area where you live. Referrals from other people, you know, is a great starting point. Ask friends and family for trusted roofing companies. Get current contact information for at least three local contractors. Look for online reviews of local roofing companies.
- Get a materials list, a complete written estimate of labor and ask about hidden charges. Contractors usually state that their estimate is based on foreseeable damage and issues. Ask the contractors about possible water damage and structural problems and how they are addressed. Allow for replacement of underlying damage caused by a failing roof and weather related problems.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent for details on coverage of any or all of your roof repair or replacement. A deductible payment is your responsibility, but if weather, tree or other outside damage occur, disclose the information to your agent. Your agent will schedule a damage estimator, hired by your insurance agency when evaluating damages and repair cost. This is before any repairs start.
- Check the contractor’s insurance, licensing and bonding. Legitimate contractors have themselves and you covered by these features in the case of injury of the contractor’s workers, damage from poor workmanship, weather conditions, or inferior materials.
- Contractors who specialize in roofing are likely more experienced, know tricks of the trade, and know the quality of materials and the proper materials and procedure for your specific home.
- Certifications of specialty in the brand, manufacturer and materials are good signs of warranty backing and professional accolades. Check the Better Business Bureau for any disqualifying complaints or reported incidents of the roofing contractor.
- Watch for scammers who knock door-to-door after storms. They are called ‘Storm Chasers’. Always handle your own insurance claim or call your insurance agent to handle the claim. Ask for a tax identification number, business address and phone number, website and email information for verification. Ask for references.
- Look for roofing material choices. Roofing materials come in a variety of materials, warranties, rebates and environmentally friendly options. The warranty on roofing materials is important, especially when you plan on staying in your home for a long period of time.
- Get everything in writing. A contract includes start and end dates of project, materials list and attached warranty information, clauses for additional materials, repairs or customer optional additions. List all deposits, payments, and monetary arrangements. Include clean-up of materials, touch-ups, and home access. When expecting a roof tear-off weather conditions are a consideration.
- Communication is essential. Return phone calls should be expedited during the project and timely before and after the project duration. Be sure to set rules for work around your home. Discuss protecting your landscaping, clean-up of a roof tear-off, ordering dumpster and recyclable materials certifications, access to home interiors (bathroom, water etc.). Know how many workers are on your property for the project. Confirm designated parking area of work vehicles.
Follow these 10 Tips to Help Homeowners Choose the Right Roofing Contractor to secure your peace of mind when your roof repair is imminent. Minneapolis and the Twin Cities looks to First Impressions Exteriors Inc. for professional, personalized service. For a free estimate on your roofing project please contact us for a representative to show you your roofing options.